July, 2000. The Antonov An-30 is guided by the ground personnel towards the Timisoara International Airport parking area. It is still wearing the old green and grey camouflage. Meanwhile all the An-30 aircrafts of the Romanian Air Forces (RoAF) have been repainted all grey. The first of three Antonov An-30 arrived in Romania at the Otopeni Air Base in December 1976 and the first flight with a Romanian crew took place the same month. The plane was equipped for aerial photography and had its first mission in July 1977. The three Antonov An-30 of the Romanian Air Force were registered under the code numbers 1103, 1104 and 1105. The 1103 was retired from service and then sold to the Republic of Moldova, where it flew for a few years under the registration code ER-EWZ. At present it does not fly anymore. The remaining two An-30 aircrafts are still on duty with the Romanian Air Force (RoAF), flying with the Otopeni 90th Transport Flotilla, which also includes the Lockheed Martin C-130 Hercules, the Alenia C-27J Spartan, IAR-330 Puma M helicopters and their “older sibling” – the Antonov An-26.
Today the Romanian Air Force is using the Antonov An-30 for geodesy and Open Sky Treaty missions; the first Open Sky flight took place in Hungary in November 1990. The Antonov An-30 was the aircraft that participated in the first joint mission of the Romanian Air Force and NATO. The mission took place in Hungary in July 1995.
The An-30 is powered by two Ivchenko Progress AI-24T turboprop engines which ensure a maximum speed of 540 km/h and a cruise speed of 430 km/ h. The range and service ceiling are 2,600km and 8,300m respectively. It carries a crew of 6 members.