A new photo and a new mystery story. All we know is that we are dealing with a Fokker B.II belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Imperial and Royal Aviation Troops and that only 24 air-crafts were ordered to Fokker Industries. Starting with September 1916 the Imperial and Royalty Aviation Troops received 23 Fokker airplanes, marked from 03.61 to 03.83. They were equipped with Oberursel U-0 7 cylinder engines which triggered 68 HP and reached a maximum speed of 110 kilometers per hour. There are sources that indicate a 81 HP power engine and a speed of 130 km/h. The problem with this piece of information is that Motorenfabrik Oberursel never produced 81 HP engines during WWI, but only 68, 100 and 110 HP engines.
The aircrafts would have had to receive 7.92 mm Bergmann LMG15 machine guns that would have to be synchronized with the propeller to shoot between its blades, and also 8 mm Schwarzlose M16 machine guns mounted above the wings. Eventually only one aircraft came equipped with the ordered weapons because of certain misunderstandings and differences between the military and the producer.
Its low performance determined the Austro-Hungarians to use the Fokker B.II only between 1916 – 1918 as training planes within the Flick 4, 6 and 8.
This is about all the information we have on the Fokker B.II, which was built up from the Fokker M.17E. As for the photo above, maybe we will never find out where it was taken (as the marking number is obstructed by the pilot standing next to the plane), nor the pilot’s identity.
Author: aviatim | Photo: unknown author | Photo collection: aviatim | 12.05.2016 |